Friday, May 6, 2016

Fun Friday! A Banner Welcome


Howdy!  Today's project is a little bit different than what I normally share!  
I've been collaborating with a local gift shop - our local version of Magnolia Market - our's is called The Market Place.  It's an adorable shop with the sweetest owner ever.  Anyway - I've been selling my cards and hand painted signs over there, and she's asked me to come up with a class - something they haven't offered before.  So, we decided on banners.  

They are still a bit trendy, and can really spruce up your decor without committing to an entire wall hanging that you'll likely have to store the rest of the year. (banners store much easier anyway!)  

So, I created the banner above.  I fashioned it from some burlap - although those that take the class will also have the option to use a canvas type material instead.  Then, using many Stampin' Up! dies, i created some flowers from wool felt. Wool felt cuts like a dream with most of our dies - especially the Bigz dies that can cut many layers of felt at a time!

Aren't those flowers fun and springy?  I purchase most of my felt from Benzie Designs, Taylored Expressions or Papertrey Ink.  They all carry really high quality felt.  And I like them all for different reasons.  The felt from Benzie can be purchase in yardage if desired.  Taylored Expressions and Papertrey Ink both sell their felt in rolls that are sized to go thru the Big Shot. 


While the Bigz dies are great for cutting the felt, I also cut felt with our Thinlets Dies.  However you can only cut one layer at a time.  I don't shy away from simply cutting some of the flowers by hand either.  

You'll also notice that I used ribbon in between each of the pennants.  Both ribbons on this banner come from the Occasions catalog - Watermelon Wonder 1" Stitched Satin Ribbon and Pool Party Glitter Ribbon.  The Watermelon Wonder ribbon is cut up the stitched lines and then tied with some bakers twine to create a tassel. And the Pool Party ribbon - I just used two strands of it and tied it in the same fashion.  Just love all the color that brings to the banner.

FYI - if you are local and would like to take this class - you can sign up over at The Market Place's Facebook Page.  All the details are there - banners are fully customizable - it can say what you want it to say!

No comments: